Monday, March 22, 2010

Of all the verses that I know...

Good day to you. This post had been one of my dreams for the past several months. And I feel it is high time to let it out. The specialty of the post, as I feel, is that it does not have any stupid, bombastically incoherent introduction, nor does it have any 'mind-voice' kind of narration in square brackets. The beauty of this post is that it is always complete. This post is about the words and dialogues that impressed me in the movies I saw. I hope I'm doing justice to English for once.

Ratatouille
This is one movie I loved watching. It brought tears to my eyes when the food critic Ego was made to taste Ratatouille. The entire narration and the voice of Remy (Patton Oswalt) were excellent. The INCREDIBLES director has, once again proved that he is indeed incredible. The story is astounding. The animation, including those of the end-titles were simply amazing. A must-watch animation extravaganza.

The best punchline of the story- ANYONE CAN COOK


Most of all, the dialogues I liked were those of Anton Ego.


1 Amusing title, Anyone Can Cook! What's even more amusing is that Gusteau actually seems to believe it. I, on the other hand, take cooking seriously. And, no, I don't think anyone can do it.


2 I know this sounds insane, but... Well, the truth sounds insane sometimes. But that doesn't mean it's not the truth.


3 Great cooking is not for the faint of heart. You must be imaginative, strong hearted. You must try things that may not work. And you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul. What I say is true. Anyone can cook. But only the fearless can be great.


4 A cook makes. A thief takes.


5 Food always comes to those who love to cook.


6 In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook". But I realize only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's,
who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

Batman Begins
A breath-taking action movie. I was able to watch the movie only after watching its sequel. But the movie was great. The movie was a working example of the work of Diamond Comics. Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan have done a wonderful job. The thing I hate about the movie is, almost all the dialogues are great... Some are:

1 Can they kill me before breakfast?

2 You're not the devil. You're practice.

3 A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal...and if they can't stop you...then you become something else entirely- Legend, Mr. Wayne.

4 I seek...the means to fight injustice. To turn fear...against those who prey on the fearful.

5 To manipulate the fears in others...you must first master your own. Death does not wait for you to be ready! Death is not considerate or fair! And make no mistake, here you face death.

6 Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

7 All creatures feel fear.
Even the scary ones?
Especially the scary ones.

8 Crime cannot be tolerated. Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding.

9 But I know the rage that drives you. That impossible anger strangling the grief... until the memory of your loved one is just...poison in your veins. And one day, you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed... so you'd be spared your pain.

10 Your anger gives you great power. But if you let it, it will destroy you...

11 Should I just bury the past out there with my parents, Alfred?
I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with your past, sir. Just know that there are those of us who care about what you do with your future.
Haven't given up on me yet?
Never.

12 Justice is about harmony. Revenge is about you making yourself feel better.

13 And what you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power. You fear your anger... the drive to do great or terrible things... To conquer fear, you must become fear. You must bask in the fear of other men. And men fear most what they cannot see. You have to become a terrible thought. A wraith. You have to become an idea! Feel terror cloud your senses. Feel its power to distort. To control. And know that this power can be yours. Embrace your worst fear. Become one with the darkness... Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.

14 As a man...I'm flesh and blood, I can be ignored, destroyed. But as a symbol...As a symbol, I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting. Something elemental...something terrifying.

15 Bruce? You're supposed to be dead.
I'm sorry to disappoint.

16 Mr. Wayne, if you don't want to tell me exactly what you're doing...when I'm asked, I don't have to lie. But don't think of me as an idiot.

17 Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.

18 Now, I don't care if it's rival gangs, Guardian Angels...or the goddamn Salvation Army...get them off the street
and off the front page.

19 But it's not who you are underneath...it's what you do that defines you.

20 Create enough hunger and everyone becomes a criminal.

21 What is the point of all those pushups if you can't even lift a bloody log?

22 I won't kill you...but I don't have to save you.

23 What about escalation?
Escalation?
We start carrying semiautomatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor-piercing rounds. And you're wearing a mask...and jumping off rooftops.

24 I never said thank you.
And you'll never have to.

1 comment:

  1. Not bad but IMPRESSIVE !! :)

    Balaji (13th TROJAN) here

    ReplyDelete